Neuroscience. Syndrome and symptom Graefe newborns
What did not hear a lot in the office of the neurologist. You can hear here on the different syndromes, some of which are difficult to diagnose and difficult to treat, while others can be seen immediately. Try to understand what is syndrome Graefe.
Symptom and syndrome – two different things
Let’s start with medical terminology that can be heard from the neurologist. So, if a doctor says a symptom is not the disease itself, but a characteristic inherent in her that is sometimes manifested in various diseases in neurology.
If we are talking about a syndrome, it’s more complicated – it means that you have a specific disease in which there are specific manifestations.
In our case, syndrome, symptom, opened the ophthalmologist of the 19th century – Graefe. So if you were told that the child Graefe, ask the doctor, what do you mean?
The fact that a symptom refers to the lag of the upper eyelid during downward motion. Simply put, when the child’s viewing sent directly, with an eye all right. But if the baby is frightened or surprised, over the iris occurs a white stripe, of a width of 3 mm Looks like the baby «exophthalmia» and the habit seems creepy.
When the symptom of all the other neurosonographic indicators are normal. This symptom is called «setting sun».
In this case, this phenomenon occurs due to the insufficient development of the nervous system. With age, this symptom disappears. But until that time will have to be given by an ophthalmologist and a neurologist.
Syndrome Graefe, when to sound the alarm?
Worry not, when in addition to the above symptoms others are added:
- The reaction of the child, are poorly developed. It’s hard for him to swallow and he can’t squeeze a normal adult thumb that is attached to the child’s palm.
- Periodically there are convulsions, tremors of the chin when crying.
- Observed strabismus.
- The child cannot hold the head. If his take on hands, the limbs hang like the «stick».
- Constant regurgitation.
- Eyeballs «running around» Willy-nilly.
- Skin color is very pale, due to lack of circulation.
- Extremities and nasolabial triangle area — cyanotic.
- Head throws back.
All these symptoms indicate the development of serious disease – syndrome Graefe. In this situation, the child has disturbed activity of the brain due to improper blood circulation, which is reflected in neuropsychiatric and physical level of your child’s development.
Which leads to this disease
There are several possible causes of syndrome Graefe:
- Premature or late delivery.
- Infectious diseases of the mother during pregnancy.
- Prolonged lack of oxygen to the child.
- Injuries in childbirth.
- High intracranial pressure in the newborn.
- Neoplasm or cyst in the brain of the child.
It is important to undergo all the necessary diagnostic tests. They are as follows:
- Consultation of the neurologist. The circumference measurement head and chest; looks, developed the reflexes of a newborn, peculiar to this age; checks the Fontanelle. Consultation of the ophthalmologist. The doctor will examine the fundus for optic disc edema.
- Ultrasound of the brain. Allows you to explore structures of the brain and determine if there is a violation.
- MRI. Explores what an ultrasound, but in more detail.
The treatment will depend on severity and more useful because of their manifestations. Usually apply symptomatic therapy.
The complex degree of the disease. Described 2 scholars: the well-known Graefe and Swedish psychiatrist Sjogren’s.
This is a very rare form of the disease, which is transmitted hereditary. Observed in 11% of cases of deep deafness.
The disease is poorly understood but there is speculation that it is connected with wrong formation of the immune system and the problem in the X-chromosome.
Signs of disease:
- Quickly lost hearing to total deafness.
- Observed disorders of coordination of movements, everything are added almost constant dizziness, precision of movement is also absent.
- Nystagmus – the eyeball is almost always in motion.
- The accession of the disease like: mental retardation, mild; microcephaly; schizophreniform condition.
- Pigment rhinitis, tunnel vision.
- Growth does not match age, feet are too big.
Diagnosis and treatment
While studying genetics of this mutation, the precise cause is not established, there is no specific treatment. It is assumed symptomatic treatment.
Complete loss of hearing or vision is to 21-31 year.
Here we studied three cases, called Graefe diagnosis in newborns. And surely you realize that the symptom and the syndrome are two different things. So, after hearing a neurologist strange words that relate to your kid, ask again, what is meant is that the most likely forecast and future strategy should be. Let your children never suffer from serious diseases.