Attractions Of Smolensk

Similarly, Moscow is built on seven hills and the city of Smolensk. After the war the USSR against Nazi Germany Smolensk was awarded the title hero city because of its heroic defense. This title was awarded to just 12 cities in the Soviet Union. More than half a century in the city operates factory diamonds, which, indeed, Smolensk, and received a second name – «the diamond capital of Russia».

Smolensk was first mentioned in the Ustiug chronicle, which dates from the second half of the IX century. In its twelve centuries of existence, it has acquired a rich history and with a huge collection of objects that deserve special attention. In this article we have collected the best sights of Smolensk photos with titles and descriptions which will help you learn more about them one of the oldest cities in Russia.

Smolensk fortress

Considering the attractions of Smolensk, is simply inadmissible not to mention fortification that was built in 1595 1602 years and has survived to the present time. Fortress fortress started to build during the reign of Fedor Ioannovich, also known by the name of Blessed Theodore, and ended only when government rules Boris Godunov. A wooden fortress was rebuilt in stone. Construction of the Smolensk Kremlin, thanks to the innovations of Theodore Knight, chief architect, has been slightly modified: the decision was made to increase the height of the walls and the construction of a large number of towers that were not typical of the fortresses of the time.

Smolensk fortressSmolensk fortress

The length of the Smolensk fortress wall was 6.5 kilometers over the past century has managed to retain less than half of the ring fortress. If earlier the Kremlin of Smolensk consisted of 38 of the towers, before our time preserved only 17, and 15 of them remained in its original form, and 2 is built instead of destroyed.

Smolensk was of great military significance during the war between Russia and Rzeczpospolita (1609 1611 for years), as well as the war between Russia and Napoleonic France in 1812. Napoleon’s troops bombed a significant part of the Smolensk fortress in 1812, in the night from 4 for November 5.

Thunder tower

Gromov towerThunder tower

This place in Smolensk is trying to visit every tourist to get an idea about the power of the Smolensk fortress. Despite the fact that the tower has not survived in its original form, the interest of visitors, however, as the local population it is not quenched. Today inside the Thunder tower exhibits on the military history of Smolensk. The Museum exhibition consists of maps of the fighting, the planning of the Smolensk Kremlin, weapons, and flags of the Middle ages, as well as many documents and objects, through which visitors can learn how the fighting took place in Smolensk experienced the clashes.

The Cathedral of the assumption

The Cathedral of the assumptionThe Cathedral of the assumption

One of the main spiritual attractions of the Smolensk Cathedral of the assumption is considered to be. Strangely, neither Napoleon, nor Hitler this Shrine was not destroyed. On the contrary, the Germans put a lot of effort to keep the Cathedral intact. Perhaps it is for this reason to visit the Cathedral, which is on a hill and visible from miles around, sought by many believers. A special impression for visitors is the front side of the temple and its interior. Inside the Cathedral is the famous iconostasis, which height exceeds 30 meters.

Holy Trinity monastery

This small Cathedral was once buried Prince Simeon of Vyazma, recited prayers to God, the daughter of the Grand Prince of Moscow Elena. In the mid-17th century Trinity monastery became the main Church in Russia he even had a place of salvation from the raging then in Moscow the cholera for Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich and the Patriarch of Moscow Nikon.

Holy Trinity monasteryHoly Trinity monastery

In 1812, the French troops turned the temple into a vault. After the Russian revolution, the monastery was looted, and through the decades closed. The monastery reopened its doors at the beginning of the most destructive and bloody war between the two world military-political coalitions, which lasted from 1939 to 1945. At present, the temple remains active and is even considered the main Cathedral of Smolensk.

The Blonie Garden

The Blonie GardenThe Blonie Garden

This city landmark has become one of the most visited places. The main legacy of the Park – musical fountain, changing not only the color of the backlight, but also the form of jets and musical accompaniment. The first monument to the garden, which came almost 2 centuries ago, was a monument to Russian composer Mikhail Glinka, which brought the garden so popular. In addition to fountain heritage Park is considered captured German statues installed immediately after the largest armed conflict in human history (1939-1945). Recently, the Park has lost some of the old trees.

Art gallery

The building of the gallery in times past was the Alexander school, now a monument of civil architecture of the 19th century. This three-storey building of the Palace of representativeness can be called the most beautiful building of Smolensk.

Hudaina galleryArt gallery

As the basis of the exhibition is not only a domestic art, and ancient images of saints, sculptures of wood 15-18 centuries, and even the work of his contemporaries. Among the exhibits of ancient art are the icons of Pskov, Novgorod and Moscow schools. «Vernicle», «the protecting Veil» and the Novgorod icon of the late 15th century «Miracle of Florus and Laurus» is considered the most unique from all available in the gallery.

The Smolensk station

The Smolensk stationThe Smolensk station

The first places facing the guests of the city in most cases, is the station. From experience that will give tourists a view from the platform, will depend on the General attitude towards the city. Smolensk has another name – «Western gate» of Russia, and therefore, this station is considered to be a hallmark of the city. Moreover, the Smolensk station is one of the most interesting sights of one of the oldest cities in Russia. It would seem, what could be so remarkable about a normal train station? The fact that the Smolensk station is a true architectural ensemble: on the creation of sculptural structures worked well-known artists, sculptors and architects, the station building was built in the neoclassical style, characterized by symmetrical shape, the rows of columns and rectangular facades.

The memorial complex «Katyn»

In the Katyn forest, located just 18 kilometers from Smolensk, is the international memorial to victims of political repression under the name «Katyn». The memorial was opened in 2000 thanks to the efforts of organizations of Russia and Poland.

Connected with the memorial of a tragic event that happened in the 1930s and 1940s. On the territory of the Katyn forest shot 21 thousand people. It was the Polish officers were captured and repressed Soviet citizens. Mass murder of Polish citizens received the name «Katyn massacre».

The memorial complex The memorial complex «Katyn»

The main entrance to the memorial resembles the mound, is divided into two parts – past and present, he has a «Road of death» where prisoners were executed. This road leads to the First ritual ground with a commemorative plate. Outside the fence of the memorial complex is located death Valley, where there are more than 200 unequipped graves.

Cathedral mountain

Cathedral mountainCathedral mountain

From almost every corner of Smolensk can be seen Cathedral mountain, which is the symbol of the city. Actually it’s just the side the top of the hill where is located the Old town, not the highest part of Smolensk, as many people think. To climb the mountain on the stairs, built in 1767. The architectural ensemble of the monument consists of the assumption Cathedral, bell towers, fences and Epiphany Cathedral. In addition, there is the Church of St. John the Baptist and the Episcopal Palace. We all used to be considered a landmark historical buildings and monuments, but if we talk about Cathedral hill, great views of the city, view from the top can also be attributed to the attractions of Smolensk.

The Monument To The Deer

The Monument To The DeerThe Monument To The Deer

The creation of the German sculptor Richard Friese is located in the centre of Smolensk, in the city garden of a name of N. Glinka. The sculpture was made for the last Kaiser of Germany and king of Prussia Wilhelm II. The monument to the deer with 16 processes on the horns in 1909 set in Park Belovezhskaya Pushcha before the hunting house of the Emperor. After 35 years, the sculpture has disappeared, but in 1945 the red army soldiers found her in the country’s political, state and military leader of Nazi Germany Herman göring. One of the soldiers hails from Smolensk and brought the sculpture to his hometown.

After the monument was brought to Smolensk, it was three times restored. The first time was engaged in the restoration of Alexandra Nikitichna Rusetskaya and the second and third – Pyotr Aronovich Fishman.

Museum «In the world of fairy tales»

MuseumMuseum «In the world of fairy tales»

One of the best attractions of Smolensk interesting for both children and their parents. After passing through a carved patterned door, visitors enter a Wonderland, where they encounter familiar characters from Russian fairy tales. Its doors Museum «In the world of fairy tales» was opened for visitors for more than 20 years ago and during this relatively short period of time has gained immense popularity not only among local population but also visitors to the city.

The Museum «the Smolensk region in the years of the great Patriotic war»

Photos and documents telling about the beginning of the war, the occupation of the Smolensk region, the underground guerrilla movement and the liberation of the Smolensk region, which is in the Museum, interesting not only to older people but also younger generation.

MuseumThe Museum «the Smolensk region in the years of the great Patriotic war»

Visitors to the Museum will see firsthand, what weapons were used by the Germans and the soldiers of the red army, the personal belongings of the liberators of Smolensk, Yelnya and Vyazma. Additionally, this area contains orders, medals and awards of the French fighter regiment «Normandy-Neman», as well as trophies of the defeated Nazi Germany.

The Church Of The Archangel Michael

The Church Of The Archangel MichaelThe Church Of The Archangel Michael

In the sights of Smolensk has another name – the Svirskaya Church. The construction of the temple occurred at the beginning of 90-ies of 12 century by the order of Prince David. The Church was the so-called warehouse for Orthodox shrines, the place where decisions are successors of various empires. In the temple, absorbed the best achievements of Russian culture, there was a fighting collision of forces, and approved foreign faith. The Church of the Archangel Michael survived the long years of desolation, returning to a new life only in 1963. In the early 90-ies of the 20th century, the Church was moved to the Smolensk diocese. In 2000, 23 November, took place the consecration of the white stone throne of a restored temple.

Historical Museum

Historical MuseumHistorical Museum

Special attention among all monuments worthy of Smolensk Historical Museum of the city. Even travelers who have visited a huge number of thematic exhibitions, will be surprised to available in the Museum exposition. City tour guides will tell of events happening in the area before and after the city became part of Kievan Rus. Among the thousands shown at the Museum exhibits there is even a skeleton of a mammoth.

The house-Museum of Mikhail Glinka

In the world there is only one Museum of the founder of the Russian Symphony and Opera, and it is located in the village of Novospasskoye. It is here were the first 12 years of life of the Russian composer, was repeatedly raided Glinka here and when I became an adult.

The house-Museum of Mikhail GlinkaThe house-Museum of Mikhail Glinka

The exhibition of the estate will speak about the life and work of the composer. Collected here are authentic items that once belonged to Glinka. This items from family estate, and memorial items.

The main attraction of the house-Museum is open to the present Church. Unusual and original Park house Museum with lots of flower beds, water cascades, pergolas, building artificial ecosystem for growing plants, island Music and a lawn, called «Cupids Meadow». At the entrance to the main house still grows favorite oak Glinka, that is sitting under him, the composer wrote the score for the epic Opera «Ruslan and Lyudmila».

The Monument To N. A. Mikeshin

The opening of the monument to the great Russian sculptor Mikhail Osipovich Mikeshin, who was born and lived in the province of Smolensk, took place in 1985, 4 Oct. The sculpture, on which he worked Alexander Rukavishnikov and the deserved architect of Russia Igor Voskresensky, located near the Museum «Russian antiquity».

The Monument To N. A. MikeshinThe Monument To N. A. Mikeshin

Image Mikeshin facing the street Tenisheva. The authors of the sculptures decided to portray the Russian sculptor, sitting on the bench in the model of the monument «Millennium of Russia» erected in Veliky Novgorod. The statue sculptor is on a square pedestal of white stone, on the front side of which on a Board made of bronze and engraved with initials and years of life Mikeshin.

Church Of The Holy Spirit

The Church Of The Holy SpiritChurch Of The Holy Spirit

The construction of the temple with an unusual facade was completed over a century ago. According to the architects and artists of the old Russian style, which made the facade was the best way to convey the fading grandeur of the national values. Frame the roof and visors reminiscent of the headdress and above the main entrance depicts Jesus Christ. Church of the Holy spirit is the personification of the original domestic wealth that was lost several hundred years ago. To visit the temple, tourists will have to travel outside of the city, in the village of Talashkino.

Historical-architectural complex «Teremok»

Historical-architectural complex Historical-architectural complex «Teremok»

Eighteen kilometers from the city to the estate, which once belonged to the Duchess Maria Tenisheva, created an artistic centre. In the late 19th century this place was often visited by famous Russian artists, sculptors and authors of musical works. Currently the estate runs the historical and architectural complex. The exhibition presented in the Museum will tell visitors about the process of activity local workshops and directly on the harvesting and educational activities of the Princess. A visit to the complex «Teremok» provides familiarity with the original artwork that was created with the support of Maria Tenisheva.

The Church Of St. John The Evangelist

The temple, richly decorated with gold and enamel, erected in 1173, in its original form it remained until 1611. In troubled times it is a Catholic Church, a return to Orthodoxy occurred only after the city again became part of Moscow state.

The Church Of St. John The EvangelistThe Church Of St. John The Evangelist

In the 18th century the temple was partially rebuilt in 1812, has undergone destruction by the French army. Over the years of its existence the Church was a Museum and library, in the diocese it passed in ‘ 93 20th century, but its condition does not allow her to worship. The restoration work of the temple continue unabated today.

The Catholic Church

This attraction of Smolensk has attracted particular interest of tourists due to the very different typical religious buildings are not typical of normal churches Lancet Windows, spires and soaring lines. The building was built in the Gothic style, which is more manifested in the architecture of temples that are in the countries of Central, Eastern and Western Europe. Is the Roman Catholic Church in the South-Eastern part of the city, near victory square and the Polish cemetery.

The construction of the Church occurred from 1894 to 1896, but its history dates back to the time of the return of Smolensk in the Great Moscow Principality after four years of living under the rule of the Duchy of Lithuania.

The Catholic ChurchThe Catholic Church

In 1812, the Catholic Church underwent considerable destructions. After some time on its place there was a wooden building, and in 1838 a stone. With the growth of the community need and expansion of the temple, because in 1896 the Church district population consisted of 9 thousand believers.

After the revolution in 1917 the Catholic Church disappeared the metrical books and all the silver and gold items donated come people. Since 1937 the Church ceased to hold services in a few years the Church was closed due to the collapse of the Catholic community. For a long time in a Catholic Church housed the archives, but he moved in 2012. Currently, the inoperative condition of the Church very depressing.

The Museum «Smolensk flax»

The Museum The Museum «Smolensk flax»

In the world there is not one Museum where all the exhibits devoted to flax and everything connected with it. There is a Museum in the building once existed the Trinity monastery, where she lived and operated male community. As the exhibits are real guns that are used in the cultivation and processing of flax, the clothing of farmers in an assortment of examples of traditional production of fibres on the weaving machine in the Museum is patterned tablecloths, curtains, towels, shirts, religionists, skirts, aprons and modern products, which are produced at the Smolensk flax. If you want you can try to work on an old loom.

Estate Talashkino

Estate TalashkinoEstate Talashkino

Among the existing Russian estates the estate of Talashkino has a special place. In the 19th and 20th centuries it was the center of culture of Russia. The Princess Tenisheva, which is the mistress of the manor, created a Museum and a theatre, opened shops. For contemporaries estate Talashkino became Russian Athens, and the Duchess Pericles peasants.

Do not forget that the attractions of the Smolensk region is an integral part of Russian culture. What to see in this part of the country, first and foremost, visitors must decide for yourself, because history buffs will want to visit the monuments that are dedicated to the two wars, while others will prefer an acquaintance with the spiritual life of Smolensk.

Понравилась статья? Поделиться с друзьями:
Добавить комментарий

;-) :| :x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :oops: :o :mrgreen: :lol: :idea: :grin: :evil: :cry: :cool: :arrow: :???: :?: :!: