Asphalt: advantages and disadvantages
Asphalt pavement modern construction remains the most reliable and in demand. The blade life is at least 7 years provided observance of rules of installation and maintenance. Smoothness of finished pavement, the relative cheapness of the coating and long life – the main differences from other types of improvements to a road.
The types of asphalt
Hot mix asphalt is composed of sand, bitumen, gravel, mineral supplements. The composition is prepared from the ingredients taken in certain proportions, heated to a temperature of 120° C. the Asphalt should be used within 4 hours of manufacture. Raw materials are transported in special containers to ensure constant temperature. Asphalt laying is carried out by heavy machinery: pavers, rollers and plate compactors. The ambient temperature allowed below 5° C when working on the asphalt. In hot weather the asphalt sheet may be destroyed, if you violated the rules of operation of the road. To fully benefit from the strip, covered with asphalt, after 6 hours of laying.
Cold asphalt, liquid asphalt used and the number of special additives to ensure product durability. The road can be operated almost immediately after installation. Rammer used hand tools along with machinery. High quality is preserved when working in the temperature range of -20° C to +40° C. Many customers stop high enough the cost of the product at the same quality indicators with hot asphalt.
Asphalt crumb is removed and the crushed layer of the old coating – is mainly used for patching roads.
To properly lay asphalt sheet, ensuring adequate quality of the future road, you must:
- to make a layout plot for paving: to define the boundaries;
- to plan a place for water runoff after natural rainfall;
- to work around underground utilities, so that if the repair is not to destroy the road surface; to remove the roots of large trees;
- define the purpose of the asphalt track in order to correctly calculate the depth of excavation and material consumption;
- to ensure the construction of special equipment or devices;
- to calculate the road slope, which ensures the flow of rainwater into the drainage system.
The technology of laying asphalt:
- remove the top layer of soil with an excavator or similar equipment. The depth of the trench is calculated depending on destination road;
- to limit coating thickness to provide a decent quality of traffic lanes;
- pit to fill and compact the first gravel of size 40-60 mm, and then a fraction of 20-40mm. You can use broken bricks, stones or concrete slab;
- is sprinkled over the top and thoroughly compacted layer of river sand. For better precipitation layer can be moistened;
- the final stage is the laying of the asphalt layer, corresponding to the target operation of the road.
Each layer compacted separately to ensure good quality and durability of the finished coating.