100 cool facts about the human body
The human body is an incredibly complex and intricate system that still baffles doctors and researchers, despite the fact that her study is not one hundred years. It is therefore quite natural that part of our body and the normal functions of the body can surprise us. From sneezing to nail growth — that’s 100 most strange, odd and interesting facts about the human body.
The brain is the most complex and least studied the human body. There’s a lot we don’t know, but nevertheless here are some facts about him.
1. Nerve impulses from the brain to the brain moving with a speed of 270 km/h. ever wonder how you can react to all sorts of things and why the finger is immediately hurt as soon as you zipped it? It’s all because of the incredibly high speed movement of nerve impulses from all parts of the body to the brain and back. They provide the reaction and to drive expensive sports cars.
2. To work the brain requires as much energy as 10-watt light bulb. Cartoon stunt with a light bulb over my head is not so unfounded. Your brain needs the same energy as a small light bulb even when you’re asleep.
3. Cell in the human brain can store five times more information than any encyclopedia. Scientists do not agree on the amount of memory the human brain, but it is placed somewhere between the three and thousands of terabytes of information. For example, the national archives of Britain, with its 900 years of history is just 70 terabytes, so to evaluate the reserves of your brain!
4. The brain uses 20% of oxygen that enters the blood stream. The brain is only 2% of body weight, but consumes more oxygen than any other organ — it is sharply reflected the lack of oxygen. So breathe deeply!
5. At night, the brain is much more active than during the day. It would be logical to assume the opposite: because during the day we carry out various actions, think, communicate — and this requires more energy than simply lying down in bed. As it turns out, all is quite different. When you turn off, turn on your brain. Scientists haven’t figured out why this happens, but in any case, thank you brain for interesting dreams!
6. Scientists say that the higher the IQ, the more people see dreams. Maybe it is, but don’t think you’re a fool if you can’t remember your dreams. Most people don’t remember what they dream about, and the average length of a dream is only 2-3 seconds — enough to understand what it is.
7. Neurons continue to grow throughout human life. For many years scientists and doctors thought that brain and nerve cells are unable to grow and regenerate. Of course, they do it not as intense as other fabrics, but they grow throughout life, adding new and new spaces for the study of the brain and affect it diseases.
8. Information is held by different neurons with different speed. Not all neutrons are the same. There are several types of nerve cells, and the rate of passage of the information on them varies from half to almost one hundred and twenty meters per second.
9. The brain itself feels no pain. Without a brain not feel pain: if you cut your finger, the brain gives you the signal that something is not right, and you will feel the pain. But by itself the brain does not hurt. The head can hurt: there’s a lot of blood vessels and nerves that cause pain.
10. 80% of the brain consists of water. The brain is not a solid gray mass, what you see on TV. The tissues of a living brain is soft, pink and jelly-like due to blood flow and the high content of fluid in the tissues. So next time you get thirsty, do not delay too long, the brain is suffering!
Hair and nails
In fact, it is not living bodies, but remember how girlfriends are crazy about their nails and hair, how much money they spend on care of them! When you can tell your lady a couple of these facts, for sure she will appreciate it.
11. Facial hair are growing faster than anywhere else. You probably guessed he was shaving in the morning, and by evening had covered with bristles. If a man did not shave his beard had grown to seven and a half meters! But it’s too, agree? After all, you can grow and the more respectable beard.
12. Every day people lose on average 60 to 100 hairs. Unless, of course, he was already completely bald or is in the process of hair loss — then, of course, he falls even more hair. The amount of hair depends on season, health, diet, age, and friends and even from pregnancy.
13. Diameter of women’s hair is twice less than men’s. It may seem strange, but quite logical: men’s hair is thicker than women’s. Hair thickness also depends on race.
14. Human hair can withstand the weight of 100 g. This, incidentally, half a Cup of something! But if the hair all together, somehow, even believe in the story of Rapunzel.
15. Nail on the middle finger grows faster than the others. And the fingernail on the middle finger of the leading hand — all champion in growth rate. Why, we don’t know, but the rate of growth of the nail as something to do with the length of the finger, so that faster growing nails on long fingers, and slowest — to short.
16. On a square centimeter of your body hair as much per square centimeter body chimpanzees. Not that we nebulosities as you think! We have a lot of hair, but most of them are very thin, so we could see them.
17. Blondes have more hair. Hair color determines their density on the head. The average person of 100,000 hair follicles, each can grow up to 20 hair in my life. Blondes 146 000 hair follicles, and the brunettes — about 110 000. The brown-haired and blond — the average number is 100,000, and redheads — about 86 000.
18. Fingernails grow about 4 times faster than on foot. You probably noticed that cut my fingernails more often, so that makes sense. They often use fingers more — that’s the result. In an average month, the nails grow to 2.5 mm.
19. The average life expectancy of a human hair is 3-7 years. And though you lose some hair every day, they live a lot. They had to visit different haircuts and modifications and some even in different colors!
20. You have to lose your hair at least halfway to it was remarkable. Every day you lose hundreds of hair, and you’ll have a lot more to lose before someone will notice it. And it will not happen earlier than your hair decrease by half.
21. Human hair is virtually indestructible. Yes, they burn well, and it’s really hard to destroy. Wondered what clogs up your pipes? The hair is not exposed to cold, climate change, water and other natural forces, and they are resistant to many kinds of acids and corrosive chemicals.
We do not recall the internal organs while they don’t bother us, but thanks to them we can eat, breathe, walk and all that jazz. Remember this when you next time zaurchit stomach.
22. The largest internal organ is the small intestine. Despite what he modestly called thin, it’s really big: its length is four times the average human height. If he hadn’t been so cleverly spun, he did not fit into the abdominal cavity.
23. The human heart creates pressure, which is enough to blood splattered on the seven and a half meters forward. It is therefore understandable why it is so easy to feel the heartbeat. That the blood passed through the body quickly, you need a lot of pressure, which occurs as a result of strong contractions of the walls of the ventricles which push the blood.
24. Acid contained in your stomach can dissolve a razor blade. Not worth it to check and there are blades or other metal objects, but know this: the concentration of the acid is not weak! Hydrochloric acid in your stomach can digest not only pizza, but also metal.
25. The length of all blood vessels of the human body is about 96 000 km For comparison: the length of the equator is 40 000 km, so your blood vessels enough to double wrap around the Earth and still remain.
26. Your stomach is completely renewed every 3-4 days. Muscular wall of the stomach quickly vanished would be the same with hydrochloric acid, if not regenerated so quickly. Guys with heartburn know how frustrating it is when you feel the influence of acid.
27. The surface area of human lungs is equal to the area of a tennis court. In order to more effectively the blood received oxygen, the lungs are filled with thousands of branching bronchi and tiny alveoli, resembling grapes. They are filled with microscopic capillaries, which move oxygen and carbon dioxide. A large area accelerates and facilitates this exchange.
28. A woman’s heart beats faster male. The reason is that on average women are less than men, and the blood should be dispersed in a smaller area. And indeed, that hearts of men and women work differently — for example, the scheme of treatment of a heart attack that work for men, cases women be ineffective.
29. Scientists say that the liver is more than 500 functions. You don’t think about my liver never — except for the hangover in the morning, and by the way this is one of the biggest busy bodies who work hard. Here are some of the liver: production of bile, decomposition of red blood cells and detoxification.
30. The aorta has a diameter almost equal to the diameter of a garden hose. The size of human heart average as two fists, so that the size of the aorta is also impressive. It is so large because it is the main guide of blood throughout the body.
31. Left lung smaller than the right — to have a place for the heart. When most people draw into their lungs, they make them approximately the same size. They are roughly the same size, but the fact that the heart is slightly displaced to the left relative to the middle, and therefore the left lung has to make room.
32. You can remove most of the internal organs and move on. The human body seems fragile, but you can even live without a stomach, spleen, 75% liver, 80% of the intestines, one kidney, one lung and virtually every organ located in the pelvic and inguinal cavity. Of course, it is unlikely you’ll be fit as a fiddle, but it won’t kill you.
33. The adrenal glands change size throughout human life. They are located right above the kidneys, as you can guess from the name, are responsible for the production of stress hormones — cortisol and adrenaline. In the seventh month of fetal development they the same size as the kidneys. At birth, the glands shrink and continue to do so throughout life. By the time you reach old age, they will become barely noticeable.
The functions of the body
We don’t like to talk about them, but are forced to deal with them daily. Here are some facts about not the most pleasant things that relate to our body.
34. The speed of a sneeze is around 160 km/h. That’s why you can’t keep your eyes open when you sneeze the air comes out of the nose at high speed! So it makes sense to hide behind.
35. The speed of a cough can reach even 900 km/h the Contagion spreads around the office or class — wooo, bitch! After all this flu epidemic does not surprise.
36. Women blink twice as often as men. Every day you blink many times. On average 13 times per minute.
37. A full bladder reaches the size of a ball for softball. No wonder you have to run to the toilet when you feel the wild call of the wild! The bladder contains 400 to 800 ml of liquid, but most people start to want in the toilet when it contains somewhere 250-300 ml
38. Approximately 75% of the products of human activity and consist of water. Hail to this! The drier the stool, the more painful the process of getting rid of him.
39. On his feet is about 500 000 sweat glands, they can produce up to a liter of sweat per day! Now it is clear that this Shoe stinks. And yet men sweat much more than women.
40. Over a lifetime, a person produces so much saliva that it fill a couple of swimming pools. Saliva plays an important role in the digestive process and supports your mouth clean.
41. The average person releases gas 14 times a day. Even if you think you’re too good for that, the reality is: you fart several times a day. Digestion causes the body to expel the gas from it can not escape.
42. Earwax is necessary for good ear health. Many believe that it is disgusting, but in fact this is an important thing for the health of your ears. It protects the delicate inner ear from bacteria, dirt and even insects. And yet it lubricates and cleans the ear canal.
Sex and procreation
Sex is largely taboo, but a very important part of human life and relationships. Procreation is equally important. Perhaps you were not aware of several things.
43. Every day the world is 120 million sex acts. 4% of the population in the world have sex every day, and the birth rate around the world continues to grow.
44. The biggest human cell is the egg and the smallest is the sperm. You can’t see skin cells and muscles, but the egg is big enough to see with the naked eye: its diameter is about a millimeter. And the male sperm, on the contrary, tiny.
45. During the first trimester of pregnancy, women often dream about frogs, worms and plants. Hormones during pregnancy can cause mood changes and various other unexpected things. They can even affect dreams. And yet many women during pregnancy I dream of water, childbirth, and erotic stories.
46. Your teeth start growing six months before your birth. The rare babies are born with teeth, but teeth nevertheless begin to grow under the gum still inside the womb.
47. Almost all children are born with blue eyes. The color of the eyes depends on the genes your parents, but most babies are born with blue eyes. It’s all in the pigment melanin. Melanin in the eyes of a newborn often takes a while to fade or when exposed to light, or to appear and show the true color of the eyes of a child.
48. Children strong as bulls. Of course, they can’t pull a cart, but if they were the size of a bull, it probably would. They are very strong for their tiny size. So be careful: they are kicking!
49. One of 2,000 children is born with a tooth. Sometimes this is a normal baby tooth, which will remain with the child until he will not replace indigenous, and sometimes it is an extra tooth, which soon falls out.
50. A fetus acquires fingerprints at the age of three months. Still in the early stages of development in fruit appears one of the most unique human traits — fingerprints. For 6-13 week of development, they already take their shapes. Strangely enough, those fingerprints will not change throughout your life and will be one of the last things to disappear after death.
51. Every person half-hour of his life was a single cell. Even the largest of us once was a single cell- a zygote, a fertilized egg. Soon she began to share and grow in an embryo.
52. Most men erection happens every hour and every half hour during sleep: because the night the brain is much more active. Blood circulation and testosterone causing erections during sleep, it is a normal part of REM sleep.
We perceive the world with senses. Here are some interesting facts about them.
53. After a hearty lunch, we hear worse. If you’re going to a concert after a good lunch, you’re doing yourself a disservice. Eat less order to hear better.
54. Only one-third of all people one hundred percent vision. Glasses and contact lenses are other two — thirds they need to do it. People with good eyesight is becoming less.
55. If saliva is not something to dissolve, you will not feel the taste. To feel the taste of food or what you decided to try the saliva has dissolved. If you don’t believe try to dry your tongue before you taste.
56. Women from birth developed sense of smell better than men. Studies have shown that women are better than men smell. They are better identificeret citrus, vanilla, cinnamon and coffee smells. And 2% of people can’t smell. Exactly.
57. The nose can remember 50,000 different scents. The nose of a Bloodhound can be a million times more sensitive than human, but that does not mean that the human sense of smell is no good. People can identify a wide range of flavors, many of which are associated with their memories.
58. Pupils dilate even for small obstacles. It is believed that this is why surgeons, watchmakers and others who perform fine work, can not stand the noise. The sound causes their pupils to change focus and they see worse, what’s worse at my job.
59. All people have their own unique smell — except for identical twins. Newborns recognize the smell of his mother, and many of us know the smell of their loved ones. Partly this odor is genetically determined, but it also depends on environment, diet, hygiene, etc
Aging and death
We age throughout life — so it is arranged.
60. The weight of the ash of the cremated person can reach 4 kg. the fact that the body contains a lot of water. And when a body burns, the water evaporates and is dry substance.
61. Hair and nails grow after death. They seem to be longer when the man dies, because the skin dehydrates and pulls back the base of the nail and the hair roots.
62. Sixty years most people lose about half their taste buds. Maybe I shouldn’t trust my grandmother so much to cook? Older people worse taste — so they can overdo, put more sugar, etc.
63. Your eyes my whole life is of the same size, but the nose and ears grow your entire life. Children look at you with big eyes — but they just seem huge, their sizes will not change never. But the ears and nose will grow and grow!
64. 60 years 60% men and 40% of women will snore. If you ever heard the snoring, you know how loud it can be. Normal snoring is about 60 decibels, the level of normal speech. And intense snoring reaches 80 decibels — it’s like the hammer hits the concrete.
65. The baby’s head accounts for a quarter of its growth, and to 25 years length of the head — only one-eighth of the entire length of the body. The Chairman of varies sizes in other proportion than the body. Legs and torso are still growing, but his head no longer.
Illness and injury
We all get sick and get injured. But it is also very interesting!
66. Most often a heart attack occurs on Monday. Monday is a hard day, very bad day! A ten-year study in Scotland found that on Mondays is 20% more frequent heart attacks. Scientists believe that here we have the combo too have a nice weekend and too hard early in the week.
67. Much longer people can go without food than without sleep. You’re much nicer to party all night, what is not, but this feeling is deceptive. If a person has enough water, it can month, and in some cases even two to live without food, maintaining a power accumulated in the body fat. Without sleep, people experience psychological changes — and this is a few days without sleep. The longest time awake is 11 days. People that put this record during the experiment, talking, hallucinating and forgot that he is doing.
68. When you burn in the sun, it damages the blood vessels. They return to normal in 4-5 months. Remember that when next time you will be lazy to slather sunscreen on my face.
69. 90% of diseases are stress. Your stressful job could cost you your health, slowly killing you day by day. It can also cause depression, high blood pressure and heart disease.
70. A human head remains conscious for 15-20 seconds after it cut off. The surprising fact, how strong the brain to be able to stay alive without the rest of the body! Although the duration of this consciousness is different — according to eyewitnesses.
Muscles and bones
Muscles and bones is a framework of our body, thanks to them we are moving and even just lying.
71. You strain 17 muscles to smile and 43 to frown. If you don’t want to strain your face smiling. Anyone who often and long walks with sour, knows how hard it is.
72. Babies are born with 300 bones and adults have 206 of them all. The reason is that many bones of the children subsequently needs to heal for example, some of the bones of the skull. Why don’t they do this is still in the womb? And so it is easier to pass through the birth canal. Bones grow together until the children grow up.
73. In the morning we are a bit higher than in the evening. The cartilage between our bones is compressed, while we stand, sit and walk, because the day we got smaller.
74. Strongest muscle of human body — language. Of course, it is impossible to verify, but the way it is. Remember that when you eat. The day your tongue is strained more than any other muscle.
75. The hardest bone of the human body — the jaw. Unexpectedly, right?
76. To take a step, you use 200 muscles. It is a great burden: in an average day people doing 10,000 steps.
77. The tooth is the only organ that is not capable of regeneration. So go to the dentist, he recovers himself.
78. Muscles deflate twice slower than pumped. But that’s no reason not to train! To build muscle relatively easy, so that’s supposed to motivate you.
79. Some bones are stronger than steel. This does not mean that bones don’t break: they break. Just the steel harder. And so, bone is a durable thing.
80. In the feet contains a quarter of the bones in the human body. Of the two hundred and six bones in the human body are in the legs 52.
At the cellular level
There are things that you will never see with the naked eye.
81. On a square centimeter of your body contains 16 000 bacteria. But most of them are completely harmless, don’t worry.
82. Every 27 days you are literally changing your skin. The skin protects the delicate internal organs from the external world, but it’s a difficult situation. So it dries and peels about once a month to keep up his strength. Most likely, the skin of your last month, you still have at home: it’s the dust on the bookshelves and under the couch.
83. Every minute in the human body dies 3 000 000 cells. Sounds like a lot, but in fact is absolutely not the case. Generally in the body of about 10-50 trillion cells, so you can afford such losses.
84. People are losing about 600,000 skin particles every hour. Don’t think about it, if not burn in the sun. To replace the old come new cells.
85. Every day an adult body produces 300 billion new cells. Your body needs the energy to support the work and arrangement of organs in the right condition to patch the holes and stuff.
86. All the prints are language unique. If you plan to commit a crime, don’t touch anything in the language!
87. Your body has enough iron to make it a 6-inch nail. Everybody who has tasted blood, you know what she gives in iron. Here it is! And when its too low, anemia.
88. The most common blood group in the world first. It is very useful, because it can be transfused to people with the second group of blood. The most rare blood group — fourth.
89. Red lips, because under them a lot of capillaries. In him flows the blood and blood — red. So anemia patients with pale lips, and after bathing in cold water — blue.
A couple of interesting facts
90. The colder the room where you sleep, the higher the probability that you would have nightmares. If you want to see nice dreams, hide better.
91. In tears and mucus contain the enzyme lysozyme, destroying the cell walls of many bacteria. It is in your best interest: the mucus in the nose and throat, and tears prevent disease.
92. For half an hour, your body allocates as much energy as it takes to boil a half liter of water. So the energy we spend just to maintain a constant body temperature enough to cook the pasta.
93. Your ears secrete more earwax when you are afraid. Chemicals and hormones that increase during fear, have here a strange effect.
94. It is impossible to tickle yourself. Just brain knows what you’re doing.
95. The distance between outstretched to the sides hands — this is your height. Not until the last millimeter, certainly, but some.
96. Man is the only animal that cries from emotion. We are the biggest crybabies in the whole animal Kingdom.
97. Right-handed people live on average nine years longer than lefties. It’s not based on genetics, the fact that all machines and tools are made under the right for left-handers to work with them more dangerous.
98. Women burn fat slower than men — approximately 50 calories per day. Just women by nature are designed to bear offspring, so the body should be more fat. And so it’s harder for them to lose weight.
99. Koalas and primates are the only animals with unique fingerprints.
100. Fossa between the nose and lip has a name. Nasal groove. It is unclear why this is necessary, but the ancient Greeks generally believed that this is one of the most sensitive erogenous zones on the whole body.