Why you need a saucepan. What is a saucepan. What’s cooking in the skillet
Every experienced housewife knows why you need a saucepan. And even if they’re in the kitchen already have a lot of pans, they will not deny myself the pleasure to purchase this item of kitchen utensils. So what is it and what to cook in the casserole?
Why you need a saucepan
Housewives and professional chefs casseroles are attracted to its versatility. If you need something to fry, you can use it as a regular pan. Current models of casseroles have a multilayer non-stick coating, which is quite difficult to damage. However, despite this, frying or stewing it, you still need to use special blades.
The main purpose of this type of dishes is a stew or longing. It make excellent stews, sauces, porridge, risotto or scrambled eggs. During cooking, food will not stick to the bottom and burn, respectively. Due to the special design of casseroles, the food inside is heated evenly and cooked in its own juice. The oil is almost no need to add. Therefore, food cooked in a casserole, is not only a wonderful taste, but also benefit.
Looks like a saucepan
Outside, the pot resembles a regular pan with a deep bottom. Handles can be one or two. The casserole is much harder in comparison with a conventional pan. Among other distinctive features of the pot are:
- Massive. The bottom and sides of casserole made from thick metal, less glass. This cookware can be used for cooking in a microwave oven.
- Walls tall and straight. In some models they can be slightly tilted outward.
- Casseroles can be round, square, rectangular or oval.
- The cover is made of heat-resistant glass.
Pots used for cooking on all types of plates (from gas to induction), the oven or the microwave. Usually for their manufacturing stainless steel, cast iron, aluminum, sometimes copper. Microwave ovens can cook in models of durable glass. The most common casseroles, made of multilayer material, the top covered with several layers of polymers.
In a cast iron cookware products are very rapidly heated to the required temperature, so they are usually used for stewing or frying. This cookware is easily cleaned from fat. The only drawback of such models is the fact that cast iron is susceptible to acidic environment in which the oxidation of the metal.
Model of aluminum light and quickly warmed up. Therefore suitable for frying or cooking vegetables and meat. Due to the fact that aluminum is a fairly porous material, it is usually applied ceramic coating that is easily cleaned of any contamination.
Casseroles stainless steel can be used for cooking cereals or sauces.
Premium include casseroles, made of steel they are relatively light, just cleaned of contaminants and resistant to mechanical damage.
Advantages and disadvantages
Knowing what is in the pot, you can determine its positive and negative sides. The advantages of such utensils include:
- speed cooking;
- high taste qualities of the dish, as they do not burn uniformly and are prepared;
- high non-stick properties;
- thick bottom, high sides and a lid allows you to accumulate heat;
- versatility – in a saucepan you can boil, fry, stew and bake, so it can be used instead of pots, pans and letters;
- perfect design – functional handle, lid with holes, through which steam escapes, more expensive models have a thermostat.
Faults in casseroles, not so much:
- non-stick coating, some models may contain harmful substances (melanin, lead, etc.);
- cast iron models are quite heavy.
Rules for the selection of casseroles
Due to the fact that the sale presents a huge variety of casseroles, many are confused in choosing the best of them. So you need to pay attention to the following characteristics:
- Plate type where you plan to use the skillet. As a rule, they are suitable for all cookers and ovens. For the microwave you need to choose glass models.
- The material of the cookware. Experts recommend to choose those dishes that are made from laminated steel or coated with polymers of aluminum.
- The diameter of the dish. It can be from 12 to 32 cm When it is necessary to pay attention to the fact that in the narrow model will be difficult to fry a lot of foods.
- The capacity of the dish will depend on the height of its walls. You can find pots from 0.5 to 3 liters. Models with low sides is convenient for frying, at that time, as a casserole with high sides can be used for any kind of cooking.
- The presence of the lid ensures quick cooking.
- To prevent glass lid from damage uses metal banding, and the presence of valve gives the opportunity to get out excess steam.
- Best non-stick properties of Teflon or ceramics. The thickness of the coating should be at least 2 cm.
- Due to the presence of the pattern on the bottom of the pot, the products in it won’t burn and are evenly heated.
- To use the casserole in the oven, choose a model with removable handles.
- To control the cooking process, especially the temperature, give preference to models with the thermostat.
- Instructions in the saucepan should be the information about absence in materials of harmful substances.