When to transplant lilies?
Among all types of flowers, one of the most beautiful is the Lily. And no matter what: outdoor or room. Unfortunately, this flower can not grow on the same land. In order to prolong his life, it is necessary from time to time to replant. But here the question arises: «When to transplant lilies to grow and bloom as long as possible?» The answer to this question will be given in this article.
The basic rules of planting lilies
Put this flower in spring, autumn or summer. Best to plant it in the fall, since the root system of the plant at that time is best adapted to land conditions. In autumn the soil is not cold enough and warm enough for Lily. For a start, the area of planting sprinkled with coarse sand, which fits the root system of the flower, then sprinkled with a hole in the ground. To Lily as best you can «settled» at the landing site, it should be well covered with water. But, in the end, don’t overdo it with watering. This flower feels good in a small water shortage, a lot of moisture they do not like.
Immerse the bulb of the flower into the ground is necessary, depending on the varieties of the Lily than the taller variety, the deeper it should be planted. Here is a sample planting scheme:
- Low-growing varieties of the plant: about 12 cm
- Medium grade plants: about 15 cm
- A tall cultivar of the plant: about 20 cm
The correct fit will depend on how much time you will live plant and number of flowers that will give the bulb.
When to transplant Lily?
Let’s talk about when to transplant lilies.
Those who have a rich experience of growing these plants, you know that to replant them every 3-4 years. But there are lilies among such variety, who particularly need regular transplant. For example, the Asian hybrid. This sort of transplant is not often, but once every ten years.
Lily is in need of periodic transplantation, because if it is not done, then the flower will live and flower for a long time. In the absence of regular transplant, the plant will begin to fade, and after a while, and all will perish.
The best time of year to transplant the flower is autumn. For most species it is the optimum time to transplant. But if you do it in the spring, nothing bad will happen. September is the best month for transplanting. In any case it is impossible to transplant lilies in the winter. Because then there is a risk that the bulbs flower freeze in the cold ground. Cold for this plant is extremely detrimental. At best, the flower will simply cease to grow, as the frozen onions will delay the growth of the root system.
Transplant Lily need only after all the flowers will wither. While the flower to «settle» in a new land, his bulbs will get stronger and properly ready for the winter.
If you do not have time until September to do a transfer, do not worry, in the middle or at the end of autumn is also possible to transplant the Lily, but then you need to prepare the plant for winter.
But how to transplant lilies, dug in autumn, in the spring? If you want to plant this flower in the spring, fearing that in winter he will die, but September has already passed, you can do the following:
- Dig up the plant along with the bulb.
- The root system should not be in the ground, so trahnite her.
- Prepare a plastic bag and wrap it in flower.
- Make the package small holes to ensure that the flower was almost out of oxygen.
- At the bottom of the Covenant put wet sawdust.
- Send Packed in the package of the Lily «for the winter» in the freezer.
You can be absolutely sure that during this time it did not happen and when spring comes she will be ready to transplant.
Need to highlight this variety of Lily, as candidum. Once in five years would be enough for his transplant. But to transplant candidum necessary only in the summer season.
Procedure transplant lilies
So, when to transplant the plant were defined, now let’s talk directly about the procedure of transplant:
- The first thing you need to very carefully cut the stem of a flower, it must be done at close distance from the earth.
- Then we dig up the bulb. This should be done very carefully.
- Transplant the onion into a new earth only after it will remove all the dead areas and scales.
- Taken out of the ground the bulb should break up into several parts, if not, use a knife to divide it into small bulbs.
- Before the transplant, removed the bulbs should soak in solution of potassium permanganate. Keep them in this solution should not more than an hour.
- While the onion rests in the water, you need to prepare the hole. The depth of the hole should match the plant variety: the more high-grade the plant, the deeper the hole. Also, don’t forget about the root system of a flower for which you also need to prepare the site. This hole must be 10 cm deeper.
- Hole sprinkled with sand.
- Lily is immersed in the hole and sprinkled a little sand.
- The last stage transplant – fill the plant with earth or peat.
If you have transplanted several bulbs, it is necessary to remember that between them is required to do a distance of not less than fifteen inches. Do not feed these plants with manure.
How to care for Lily after the transplant?
- The plant should be regularly watered, but not more often than once a week. The land should not be wet, but should not be dry.
- The leaves of the flower have to be periodically izbrisani water.
- From time to time, you need to make the soil friable. You can add peat or humus.
- All weeds should be promptly removed.
- When the lilies appear of a flower, its stem must be tied to a stick, so it will not become loose.
- The plant needs regular fertilizing and fertilizers. Need to feed at least three times a year. The first fertilizer you need to do after the Lily will bloom, and the second when Bud.
- Order flower remained strong, it is necessary to periodically add wood ash.
Observing the rules of the transplant, your Lily will bloom and delight the eyes for a very long time.