What is personality definition
Personality – one of those double words, the value of which, at first glance, it seems quite obvious. However, if you try to formulate it, it turns out that the task is not easy. So what is a person?
In fact, this word is used not only to describe the individual, to point out his peculiarities and distinctive features.
There is the concept of «linguistic personality». This phrase to describe a certain media language, or the totality of his abilities and characteristics. They depend on how the person interprets and creates spoken texts. As a rule, these texts are distinguished
- according to the degree of their structural and linguistic complexity,
- by how accurately and deeply they reflected the reality,
- in fact, they have a clear purpose and direction.
Despite such clear criteria for the definition of linguistic identity, this concept can be seen as some part of the person. It is a complete view that includes social, mental and other components. It’s just that they are evaluated using language.
Also in the field of linguistics there is the concept of speech and communicative personality, but they are similar to «language», although having its own quirks.
What is the self?
In addition to linguistics, this term is considered psychology, sociology, and other Sciences. For example, to answer the question, what is the identity as follows. This is the social nature of man, his social and cultural life.
To describe this word it is possible and easier. Personality is the person who is the subject of the relationship and capable of conscious activity. In other words, this kind of «face». You can also give this definition – a system of significant features of a particular person or society.
Especially widely the concept of personality philosophy considers. The views of scientists on this issue has varied over time. For example, the Church fathers of the fourth century believed that there is no fundamental difference between the words «hypostasis» and «person». In the middle ages, the word personality has risen even higher – it represented the essence of God. Before the time of modern philosophy, the importance has become much easier, and the notion was perceived as a synonym for citizen. Finally, in the midst of romanticism, identity has come to mean hero.
Personality and individual
The development of personalism has brought new interpretations. By this logic, the individual that is in public relations and is prone to changes in society, unable to assert the uniqueness of the «I». These different individual and personality. The person who is simply representative of its kind, is an individual. It is considered a normal item, which can only be said on its relation to the whole. The person has freedom of expression, able to overcome various barriers. Eventually, these currents of personalism led to the formation of existentialism, which focuses on the hostility of society.
It is believed that the Personality cannot exist without three main attributes.
- The first is the freedom or the will. By that word understand an individual’s ability to make decisions based on their own thoughts. Also the person is able to act according to these thoughts.
- The second attribute is the reason, that is, the ability to think about everything, synthesize their knowledge, to analyse and to abstract from unnecessary.
- Finally, the personality characteristic of feeling. Although they are an emotional process, but not emotion, and therefore cannot completely control the thoughts and actions of the individual.
Identity in religion
In Christianity the individual is not only ordinary people, but the persons of the Holy Trinity and angels and demons. According to this religion, since man is created in the image and likeness of God, from the very conception becomes a person, but in the process of life is constantly evolving and improving. Regardless of genius or criminal, it will be individual.
In Buddhism, the personality is the synonym for soul. This is a set of five elements, including
- the ability to feel what is pleasant, unpleasant and neutral,
- the ability to create different concepts
- the ability to act so as to form karma
- the presence of consciousness.
In some other religions, like Hinduism, are not only humans, but all living beings.