What is endometriosis?
Endometriosis is a fairly common gynecologic disease that manifests itself in the growth of endometrial cells outside the uterus. In this article, we will talk about what is endometriosis.
What is this disease?
Endometriosis affects primarily the genitals. Also, this disease affects the health of the fallopian tubes, ovaries, ligaments. In some cases, can affect the abdominal organs, bladder, and lungs. Depending on lesions of the organs, there are genital and extragenital endometriosis.
To meet this condition only in women of reproductive age.
Endometriosis develops as follows: during the menstrual cycle in women, cloth unfertilized egg with the pieces of the endometrium is excreted from the body together with the blood flowing from the vessels of the uterus. There are times when the blood passing through the fallopian tubes, enters the abdominal cavity. As a result, the endometrium begins to grow, which can lead to the formation of muscle layer of the uterus.
The causes of the disease
It should be noted that the exact causes of the disease can not name one. Most likely, the endometriosis of the uterus is a genetic disease that can be passed in inheritance. Also, among the possible causes of the disease it is possible to allocate system pathology which can arise in cases when a disturbed regulation of the immune or hormonal processes.
Under the risk of endometriosis get women who give birth after thirty years. Also, getting endometriosis in difficult childbirth, while abortion and cesarean section.
Endometriosis is a very insidious disease, because very often for a long period of time, it occurs without any specific symptoms. However, with the development of the disease, you may experience a number of unpleasant and very painful symptoms.
Here are the main ones:
- Discomfort during sexual intercourse. This is the first symptom that indicates a possible disease of endometriosis. During sex a woman may experience discomfort and pain in the vagina. Throughout intercourse, a woman can’t shake the feeling that the vagina is a foreign body, causing discomfort.
- Pain in the pelvic region. The nature of the pain is not constant. From time to time, a woman may experience pain in the pelvic region, most often when standing up. The pain increases during menstruation.
- Increasing the duration of the menstrual cycle. Due to the fact that the cervix is accumulated a blood, the menstrual cycle becomes longer and can last about ten days. In addition, increases the amount of blood. You can talk about the failures in the menstrual cycle, as to its beginning and it will be followed by spotting. Also, it is worth noting a special tenderness during menstruation during of endometriosis, and this pain is difficult to confuse with the usual pain during the menstrual cycle. You can feel burning pain in the vagina during of blood discharge.
- Lumbar pain. At the beginning of the illness, lower back ache only during the menstrual cycle, but as it develops, the pain becomes a daily «companion» of women.
- Pain in the lower abdomen. At the beginning of the disease the pain is accompanied by a woman during menstruation, but gradually it increases and persists even after the end of the cycle.
This is the first symptoms of endometriosis, talk about the presence of the disease. But, if left untreated, the condition can worsen considerably, and there may be other, even more unpleasant symptoms:
- Pain during bowel movement.
- Severe pain when urinating.
How to be treated?
Fortunately, to cure endometriosis is quite real. This can be done in two ways: hormonal and surgical.
During hormonal treatment, the doctor achieves the absence of the menstrual cycle in women, by assigning him a course necessary preparations. This leads to the fact that endometriotic lesions, just atrophy. The disadvantage of this method are the rather long treatment time, namely six months, and, also, no guarantee that the disease will not resume after the medication. However, it is an outlet for those women who do not want to «go under the knife».
Much more effective than surgical treatment for endometriosis. Moreover, with the development of medical technology it has become quite possible to remove the foci, not damage the internal organs. The procedure for removal of endometrial tissue is called laparoscopy.
Many gynecologists suggest parous women suffering from endometriosis, to give birth, because I believe that after labor the disease disappears. This fact was confirmed in numerous studies.