What is falafel? How to make falafel — recipes
Almost every country can find their own, quite original version of fast food. If in America, everything is quite simple, and there are common dishes are hot dogs and hamburgers, in France, for example, on the streets selling roasted chestnuts. In Israel is easy to come across something else, which people often ask what a falafel is.
Despite the place of their greatest extent, this dish has no Jewish origin. It is believed that the history of the falafel starts in Egypt, or in the Indian subcontinent. After that it had spread to the Eastern part of the Mediterranean in Syria, Palestine, Lebanon and other countries.
In Arab countries, it is believed that originally falafel was the dish, but in fact it was made in Egypt before the advent of Christ. Over time the original recipe has undergone many changes, but it is still accessible to everyone.
What is falafel?
This dish can be compared with many counterparts existing in different cuisines. For example, from them, to some extent, similar acaraje, which are prepared in Brazil, abode and parappa familiar to the people of India, penale from Italy and finally, the Russian croquettes.
The popularity of this kind of food in Israel has led to the fact that it was considered almost a real symbol of the country. The falafel sellers meet there every step of the way. In the West to this dish differently. Usually it is served or in schools with Arabic cuisine, or are aimed at vegetarians and vegans.
By itself, a falafel is a chickpea, popularly also known as «garbanzo beans», crushed. From it, create small balls, then fry in deep fat. Sometimes the composition is added to something else, like beans, and the dish is always full of spices. Typically, a variety of beans add the people of Lebanon or Egypt. In Russia, however, often instead of chickpeas used a simple yellow peas.
In different countries not only the falafel, but also how it eats. In Israel, where the dish is part of the fast food chains, it adds different things. It can be:
- Chickpeas pasta
- Sesame sauce
Lebanese falafel watering mint or turnips, and sometimes yogurt. The Egyptian version is a pita with vegetables. In addition, people make balls of different sizes, and sometimes prefer to mold a kind of cutlet flat or long form.
How to cook falafel classic?
In order to make a real falafel, the chickpeas need. Today it is easy to find on the shelves of most major supermarkets. If this fails, you will have to buy a simple peas or other legumes, and are one of the recipes below.
First and foremost, it is necessary beforehand to prepare chickpeas. It is soaked in water overnight and then give time to dry out. Some eat it bean right raw after soaking, others prefer to cook it for a while. Of course, it is easy to create many variations even in the classic falafel, but first, you should consider at least one.
In addition to the chickpeas, for the dishes you need to:
- Brewed shredded wheat, called Bulgur;
- Wheat flour;
- Onions, garlic, herbs, cumin;
- Spices, including pepper and curry.
The cooking process is as follows.
- Pre-soaked chickpeas are ground in a blender or food processor to become like a puree.
- Herbs and onions are finely Narbut, and garlic, skip through the frog. In a pinch, you can use a grater.
- All this is placed in a deep container, then add the bulgur and seasonings. The mass should be thoroughly mixed, and then pour three tablespoons of water.
- With the ready mixes are created balls. If you use 250 g chickpeas, which account for 3 tablespoons of bulghur, the onion, 5 cloves of garlic, the result is approximately eighteen average falafel.
- In order to facilitate the process of sculpting, you can pre-moisten your hands in water.
- Balls fry in a pan for about four minutes. We need to make sure they are not glued to each other.
After appear appetizing crust, falafel is ready, it will be possible to pass on a paper napkin. It will absorb the excess fat obtained while cooking. After this, wishing to add to the balls of vegetables, different sauces and other ingredients.
Falafel in pita bread
In Russia, to buy falafel is easiest there, where they sell Shawarma. So often this dish is served in a pita. However, it really is to cook and home, creating a more healthy version of the beloved Shawarma.
How to cook falafel in pita bread? First and foremost, you need to do almost everything the same as it was in the last recipe. As a result, the man will ready the fried balls. Further actions are:
- Fresh or salted cucumbers, greens, tomatoes and Bulgarian pepper cut into quite thin.
- Inside the pita bread is greased with mayonnaise or sour cream.
- After that, it lay the prepared vegetables and falafel.
- All this watered with a special hummus, and you can also put sesame paste.
- If desired, the sauce of sour cream and mayonnaise.
After all it should be, we can only roll the pita bread. Form falafel like this in the end will remind the same Shawarma.
If there is no chick…
If you want to cook the falafel, but you didn’t have chickpeas, you can use some other beans. For example, lentils. It gets harder and harder crumbles, but the balls made it easier to retain their shape. Usually used about 500 g of lentils 100 g of onions and 6 cloves of garlic.
- As in the case of chickpea, first the lentils to soak overnight.
- Before you can create falafel, you need to boil for half an hour.
- Then you need to give her time to cool off, and then put it in the blender, where it is brought to a state of pulp or puree.
- After that, the lentils, put the tablespoon of olive oil, various seasonings and two tablespoons of flour. After mixing, it turns out a good consistency of mashed potatoes.
From it it is easy to download classic balls or patties of the desired shape. These falafel are fried in the pan before the advent of the crust. This process ends.
Alternatively, you can cook a dish and Cup of beans. For this you also need about six cups of flour or bulgur, and a head of garlic.
- Pre-soaked and dried beans are ground in a blender.
- Then it added all the necessary ingredients.
- Spices can be ground in a blender separately, or do it in a special mill.
- Usually used salt, pepper, cumin, and fresh parsley.
With ready mix molded balls, then fry in deep fat. So it turns out falafel from the beans.