What is bulgur and how to cook it?
Well-known millet, buckwheat, semolina, barley and other cereals, but there are cereals that are mentioned less frequently. For example, what is bulgur and how to cook it? Under such a strange word hides another Krupa, has some useful properties.
Groats bulgur is created from crushed wheat, which is treated with boiling water, and then dried. Most often can still be found in the Middle East and the Balkans. In addition, croup is common in Pakistan and North India, but there it is known under the name of Dahlia.
Bulgur existed in biblical times. This can be understood by reference to the Strong 7383. They used the word, read as «rift». His definition was «crushed grain». The concept is derived from the verb that means «to Crush in a mortar». The first mention of the cereals can be attributed to the ninth century BC – then the word bulgur appeared in cuneiform tablets.
The use of wheat grits
In order to understand the benefits of this cereal, it is necessary to consider its chemical composition. Calorie bulgur is a little different from other cereals – it is 340 kcal for every one hundred grams. You should pay attention to other key components.
- One hundred grams of this cereal contains 8 grams of fiber.
- The amount of protein is approximately 12.5 G.
- There is a lot of carbohydrates – 69 g, while there is a little less than a gram of sugar.
- Within and fats, in the amount of 1.75 g, 0,2 of which saturated pryhodyatsya on.
Individual attention available micronutrients. First and foremost, is allocated folic acid plus choline, vitamin PP and many representatives of group B. Finally, in the composition is copper, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, calcium and many other substances in small quantities.
All these elements provide benefits, which contains bulgur. It is believed that regular consumption of this cereal facilitates proper functioning of the nervous system and metabolism, and it also helps the health of the hair. Porridge is easily digested and toxins, and therefore is equally useful for those wishing to lose weight and build muscle mass.
As a rule, the grain can cause harm only to people with certain medical conditions. First and foremost, talking about suffering from celiac disease – gluten intolerance. Porridge contains it in sufficient quantity, so it is not suitable for them.
For most people, fiber is a very useful element, but with a number of problems with the gastrointestinal tract in the acute form it can hurt. Accordingly, in this case again will have to abandon the bulghur.
In addition, do not forget that not all cereals are low-calorie products. They should be used in moderation and in the morning. Thus, people may be interested in, what is bulgur and how to cook it, if they do not have the above diseases and they know how to count the calorie content of your diet.
How to cook bulgur?
This grain can act as a standalone course, and to enter into the composition of certain foods. Often it is prepared by sautéing in butter, followed by short boiling. Rinse this cereal is not necessary. Thus the component of tabbouleh salad, Arabic meatballs and some soups.
As a rule, after a preliminary roasting of the rump to add water in the ratio of one to two, and so the porridge is cooked on low heat for about fifteen minutes. Turned the dish is suitable for meat and fish, it goes well with vegetables and nuts, and also sometimes add honey, raisins and seafood.
The same grains can make as sweet and savory or even spicy dish. However, you can cook bulgur without prior frying. As a rule, are masterpieces of Mediterranean cuisine.
In particular, of cereals cooked original or dolma and tabbouleh salad. In this case, the bulgur is combined with parsley, lemon, olive oil and various herbs. We should also consider several recipes with this cereal.
Salad with bulgur
For cooking in this recipe is usually from half an hour to forty minutes. You will need:
- Half a Cup of bulghur,
- A glass of clean water,
- A few cloves of garlic,
- About 70 g Parmesan cheese,
- A handful of green beans,
- Lemon juice,
- Olive oil,
For starters, you should leave the bulgur in boiling water for about half an hour, and then pour in a couple tablespoons of lemon juice.
- During this time, you can cut off the bean ends and boil it for five minutes.
- After that, it is necessary to pour cold water in a colander and put into the pan.
- There beans are roasted in olive oil and then add garlic sagging.
- Together they are fried for about a minute.
- To the mixture is added water and all other ingredients.
- They must be thoroughly mixed.
This salad cereal can be served by putting the egg soft-boiled.
Muffins with bulgur
Interesting recipe of sweets on the basis of such useful grains. For cooking need the following ingredients:
- Two eggs,
- 300 ml milk
- Three tablespoons of vegetable oil,
- About 150 g of flour,
- A glass of bulghur,
- About 15 g of baking powder,
- A little salt and the thyme leaves.
The process begins with boiling water to which you then add bulgur. After that, it again brought to the boil and then boil for fifteen minutes. Meanwhile you can do other ingredients.
- Two eggs whip, add milk and mix it up.
- The mixture is filled with oil.
- When the bulgur is cooked, it needs to be removed from the pan and place in another bowl to cool down.
- Then, it is added to the mixture.
- In another container the flour is sifted, to which put the baking powder and salt.
- Bulgur sprinkled in the thyme, then flour mixture.
- Everything is mixed again, but not too much – the mixture should remain a bit rough.
In a greased silicone mold using the ladle routed batter to fill almost ¾ of the space. This is placed in an oven which has been preheated to 180 degrees for 35 minutes.
When the end of the cooking to remain a little time, temperature can be increased, so the muffins will be more ruddy. They are usually served warm or at room temperature.