What is angina
In this article we will talk about what is angina. Angina is one of heart disease, which also is a clinical syndrome. The disease is characterized by severe pain in the chest. This pain occurs suddenly, often during exercise. In addition, angina, chest pain occurs during eating, due to stress, or during a loud conversation. Sometimes it also happens that the man was simply asleep and wakes up from feeling a strong pressing pain. That is a pain in angina may occur even if the person is in the supine position.
The disease occurs due to lack or, conversely, excess blood flow to the heart as a result of some pathology in his work. Ache can left, right or middle part of the chest.
History of angina pectoris
Angina is not a new disease, because it was known the «father» of medicine Hippocrates. He talked about the fact that pain in the chest associated with heart problems, and this, in turn, can lead to danger. Even Seneca wrote that the pain of angina, like a storm, as it has a natural character of its appearance.
William Heberden, English physician, named the disease «angina pectoris.» It was in the 18th century. Even then, the doctors noticed that the patient has «angina», in addition to pain, occasionally there is a strong fear of death. Such fear is accompanied by a sharp pain. At this time, the person thinks that very soon he will not be able to breathe.
From what it arises?
Causes of angina pectoris many. Modern doctors have even suggested that, in fact, risk factors of angina. However, the main cause of this disease is narrowing of the coronary arteries, in other words, an arterial spasm. This problem may occur due to thrombosis or atherosclerosis. Also, arterial spasm can be caused due to the fact that the functions of the inner shells of the broken vessels.
Risk factors of angina pectoris is divided into 3 groups:
- Tobacco Smoking.
- Cholesterol diet (frequent eating of foods high in cholesterol like cheese or pork).
- Lack of exercise (a small amount of physical activity).
Group – physiological factors:
- Increasing the level of cholesterol in the blood.
- The lack of «good» cholesterol.
- High blood pressure level.
Group – individual factors:
- Age. In women, angina is most likely to occur in 55 years, men 45 years.
- Paul. Men are more prone to disease.
- Genetic predisposition to the disease.
If there are multiple risk factors from different groups, the risk of angina increases significantly. In some States angina is one of the main causes of mortality.
In Russia it affects more than 10 million people. More than half of people who have coronary heart disease is angina. Therefore, it is important to recognize the signs of this disease and consult a cardiologist, because if you don’t, people may die. So, if you have the main symptom of angina, pain in the chest, do not hesitate and immediately go to the hospital.
Characteristics of pain
The pain is periodic in nature, appearing as an attack. The character of the pain squeezes and presses. Through this a person is experiencing difficulty breathing, and this leads to the fear of death, as he wrote the doctors of the 18th century. Most often, the pain is localized in the middle or upper part of the chest.
A common symptom of angina is that the pain begins to give in your left hand. Sometimes a hand like numb from pain. An attack of angina lasts from 5 to 15 minutes depending on the severity of the disease. In most cases, get rid of the attack helps nitroglycerin tablet.
What can cause pain?
- First, is exercise. That is when a person climbs the stairs, jogger or carries gravity, it can begin the stroke.
- Hypertension (high blood pressure).
- Prolonged exposure to the cold.
Now let’s talk about how to give first aid to the man, who suffered a stroke.
Actions to aid during an attack of angina
If you or another person in the room faced such danger as angina, do not panic, and follow these instructions:
- The first thing to do is to undo all compressive garments to facilitate patient respiration. In addition, set him back.
- Open all the Windows in the room. If possible, send the victim to the street. Breathe in the fresh air easier than indoors.
- Give the patient nitroglycerin. This medication is placed under the tongue (if you give the pill), or diluted with water (if you give drops). In liquid form it is enough to take a couple of drops of nitroglycerin. To delay taking the pill is not worth it. However, if the glycerin causes severe headache, divide the tablet into two parts and give the sick one.
- Usually one dose is enough to eliminate the pain. But if the pain persists, repeat taking nitroglycerin. Do not exceed 3 tablets, otherwise there is a risk of overdose of drugs.
- If nitroglycerin was not on hand, replace it with validol or Advil. Need validol put under the tongue, and the tablets to drink. Best of all, the nitroglycerin replaced by drugs such as corvaton and sinopharm.
- After the patient will take the pill, give it a strong hot tea.
- If pain attack is accompanied by tachycardia, give the patient a pill of inderal. Inderal should be put under the tongue and slowly dissolve.
These are the basic rules of first aid in this disease. But, there are a number of symptoms that can occur when pain attack, detection of which you should immediately call an ambulance. We are talking about such principles as: shortness of breath (people can’t take a breath), pain is very strong and it does not pass, cold sweat on the body and severe weakness.
If these symptoms do not cause a brigade of medical professionals, there is a risk of myocardial infarction. With timely treatment to the hospital, you can avoid all the unpleasant consequences of strokes, such as sudden attacks of pain, shortness of breath and tachycardia.