What biology is — topics and what she is studying
Biology is the science that deals with the study of living beings. In Greek «bio» means «life». Therefore, we can safely say that biology is the study of life in all its manifestations. Our ancestors for many centuries was engaged in the study of nature to answer the question of what is biology.
History of biology
Since ancient times people were interested in questions about the world. Birds, beasts, and insects have caused genuine interest, plants are helped to survive, nature is frightened and fraught with mysteries.
Hunting, gathering and agriculture are the three principal occupations of our ancestors. To survive in the forest and to grow a rich harvest, people needed information base. Thus was born the biology. Like any science, it has evolved thanks to constant observation and dangerous experimentation. People tried to cross different species of animals and plants to get the best result.
By the 18th century formed a large base of knowledge, which still appeal to modern scientists.
The subject of study
The object of study biology – all living things in nature:
- Evolution of living beings
- Structure and types
- Lifestyle organisms, their habits and patterns of development
- The interaction of beings with one another and with the world that surrounds them
Using the concept of «creatures», we’re not just talking about people and animals and plants of the simplest forms of life. Researchers studying life in all its manifestations, beginning with molecules and ending with biological systems.
Section of biology
Depending on the object of study of biology is divided into several sections:
- Molecular biology. Studies the properties of life at the molecular level
- Botany. Deals with the study of plants
- Physiology. The science of life of the whole organism and its component parts – cells and organs
- Genetics. Deals with the study of heredity and of the origin of creatures
- Anatomy. Teaching about the structure of the human body and plants and animals
- Zoology. The science of animals
- Cytology. Examines the function and structure of cells
- Ecology. Section of science, the object of study is the relationship of organisms with the surrounding world
To students easier to learn the definition of what biology is, teachers put emphasis on the fact that this science studies all living organisms. As well as their influence on each other and on the environment.
Why we need biology
Every aspect of biology provides humanity with great prospects.
Biology was the theoretical basis for medicine, and also opened broad horizons for the study of flora and fauna. There are a number of tasks that need to be solved biologists:
- The search for vaccines against deadly viruses and cures for incurable diseases
- Correction of genetic defects
- Human life extension – search «tablets» from aging
- The preservation of clean air and water
- Solicitous attitude to forests and soil protection from erosion and deforestation
- Creating a productive breeds of domestic animals
- Elimination of cultivated plants with a high level of harvest
Scientists will find many new discoveries and the problems will be solved. Researchers believe that this is what will save humanity from destruction.
When the theory of the creation of a living being by artificial means was a fantastic stories in which nobody believed. But biologists have found a way to get new kinds of beings with predetermined characteristics. In this area while only the first steps, but the result was brilliant discoveries, overturning the view of life turned on its head.
Biology is the science that helps mankind to understand the laws of life.