How to pickle tomatoes
Earlier salting of the tomatoes was considered the only method of preserving a rich harvest. Over time, technology evolved, but this method remained popular among Housewives. How to pickle tomatoes? Here are the basic details of this process.
How to pickle tomatoes, selection of fruits
For pickling suggest to select tomatoes of equal maturity and size. Best of all, if it’s a fruit of medium size, slightly unripe. Hostess claim that the best option – the ground varieties that are dense and not a thick peel.
Inside the tomato should be red without white core. All the fruits are moving, soft, tainted with damaged skin are deposited. Tomatoes should be washed, after which they will be ready for canning.
How to put the tomatoes in a jar
Besides tomatoes, for pickling uses a set of herbs and spices (dill umbrellas, leaves of horseradish, black currant and the like). You can buy them on the market. So green is invested in each Bank. The total number of herbs and spices intended for one banks it is necessary to divide in half. One half is placed on the bottom, and the other tomatoes will cover the top.
Putting tomatoes in the Bank, you need to ensure that they were tight, but not squeezing each other. Along with tomatoes you need to put a few cloves of garlic.
The preparation of brine
The best option for salting of the tomatoes will be spring or artesian water. But, at least, suitable and simple water, which is cleaned using a household filter.
Salt, use regular stone has a coarse grind. Iodized salt extra class will not work. This is because such a salt can change the taste of the vegetables in the worst way. Or the fermentation process may not begin.
Recipes for pickled tomatoes very much. Each of them is amounts of salt and other components. It is important to note that the tomatoes will take from the brine that the amount of salt they required. So the hostess recommended 1 liter of water to take an average of 3-4 tablespoons without slides. The amount of brine you need will depend on how tightly Packed the fruit and the size of the vegetables. On average, one 3-quart jar is 1 litre of ready-made brine. But, not to be mistaken, it is better to cook it with a small margin.
The brine is prepared in the following way – salt is dissolved in water, settles for 5-7 minutes. Now he’s ready and they can fill our tomatoes.
Prepared tomatoes in a jar filled with brine, covered with a plastic cap and leave in a warm place for a few days. During this time the brine will become cloudy appearance on the surface and you will notice air bubbles. Now the banks can be covered with a nylon lid and send for storage in a cellar or other cool place.
Try tomatoes will be in 2-3 weeks.
Popular recipes pickling tomatoes
Each family has its own, proven over the years the recipe of pickled tomatoes. Here are the most popular ones.
Tomatoes, pickled horseradish
Such tomatoes compared with those that our grandmothers did in barrels. The process of cooking the following.
5 kg of tomatoes, you need to:
- 5 liters of water (preferably from a spring or well);
- 1 Cup (200 g) without top salt;
- Horseradish root (large size);
- Garlic – 3-4 medium heads;
- Bay leaf – a few leaves 1 3-liter jar;
- A handful of allspice.
Colada they are as follows:
- In well washed cans stacked tomatoes.
- Put peeled and cut into slices horseradish root, Bay leaf, a few cloves of garlic and pepper.
- Separately, prepare the brine whose salt is highly soluble in water. Pour the resulting brine our tomatoes. Banks cover with a lid and leave to stand a day in the bathroom. The next day banks can be sent to the basement or other cool place where they will be stored until winter. To try the tomatoes will be in 1-1.5 months.
Green tomatoes, salt
Green tomatoes turn out equally delicious with a rich taste. For pickling, you should choose not much green fruit.
5 pounds of these tomatoes need:
- 5 liters of raw water;
- 0.5 Cup (100 grams) of salt;
- 0.5 kg of garlic and parsley;
- 0.7 kg of celery (greens);
- 1 tbsp of mustard powder;
- Bay leaf;
- 2 PCs. medium hot peppers.
The process of salting:
- Greens well washed and finely cinqueda. Half of the greenery and put it on a plate. Grind the pepper, removing from it all seeds. Add it to the greens in a bowl. This also put passed through the frog peeled garlic. Mix everything.
- In the washed tomatoes make a cut until about the middle of the fruit. Inside of the incision lay the greens, peppers and garlic. The thus prepared fruits Packed in jars. Top each jar lay a portion of greens (peppers and garlic).
- Dissolve salt in warm water and allow it to cool down. In each jar, pour the mustard and cover with the brine. Cover cans with plastic caps. During the day keep them in a warm room, then send in a cellar or refrigerator.