How to number pages in Word
Microsoft Word is one of the most popular program that allows you to work with texts. Among users it is more commonly known as the ward. A large number of features that are available in the program allow you to perform various tasks associated with recruitment, editing and formatting a word processing document. The program menu is so simple that even a beginner will be able to work with her on an intuitive level. Working with a multi-page document, before the user gets a task to number the pages. But, not everyone knows how to do it, so trying to find the answer to the question: «how to number pages in Word»? It turns out that before you do this, you need to understand what version is installed on your computer.
How to number pages in Word 2003
Despite the fact that regularly come out with new versions of Microsoft office Word, still remains a large number of people who continue to use word 2003. Consider how the users of this version to put numbers on the pages:
- Find the «Insert» tab, selecting that drop-down menu appears, select «page Numbers».
- You will see a window in which to specify a suitable numbering options: position and alignment.
- There is also the option of choosing the format of the number (numbering with numbers or letters, select a page to be stamped numbering).
Word 2007, 2010 and 2013
In programs version 2007 and later, the developers have worked with interface, making it much easier for users. Here a large number of functions, which are logically distributed in the respective tabs. Therefore, if you want to number pages in Word 2010 and other versions, you should use this instruction:
- To get started, go to the Insert tab.
- Locate the «page Number». Clicking the mouse on that line, you will see a menu where you can select what part of the page will be marked with the number.
- In this menu you can find the «Format page numbers». Clicking on this line you can choose the desired document number, where they will be numbered. To do this, it is enough to put the marker next to the «Start» button that appears at the bottom and in the window, enter a number, to start the numbering in the document.
The numbering excluding the title page
Sometimes the user there is a problem when they need to document where there is a title page, need to number pages in word it is. How to make page numbering begins with the second sheet and the two, as the first page in this case will be the title page.
To do this, you need to choose the tab «page Layout». Here you can see the string «page Settings», next to which there is a gray button with a cross. After clicking on it, open the «page setup». In this window check the box next to «Define header and footer on first page». Once you click the OK button on the first sheet immediately disappear her number, and the page numbering will remain unchanged.
Numbering from an arbitrary place
There are situations when you do not need to be numbered from the first few pages of the document. For example, in addition to a title page, you need to leave a few leaves and then start the countdown. To do so you need:
- Put the cursor on that page, which will be before the first numbered page.
- In the tab «page Layout», select «Breaks», then «section Breaks» where you need to note the following page. Thus, the document will be divided into 2 parts with their own markings.
- To see the difference, you must enable the display of non-printing characters.
- Now it is necessary to enter in the second part of your text document and click 2 times on the header and footer area where you want to put the page numbers. In the main menu you will see a tab called «Work with headers» and select «Designer.»
- If not numbered should be only the first sheet, select «Settings» and check the box next to «Special first page header.
- If you want to start the page count with 3, 4 or any other page, log in to area «Transitions» by clicking on «Like in the previous section. Thus will disappear the connection of headers and footers in different parts of the document.
- Being in a «Designer», click the «page Number» then «number Format».
- Near the string «start», enter the required number. The same should be done with other sections.