How to make a bootable flash drive?
In case you need to load the operating system requires a boot disk or flash drive. There are several ways how to make a bootable USB flash drive. We offer the easiest options available to each user.
How to make a bootable USB flash drive using command prompt
This method is the most simple and accessible. For this you do not need any special apps or programs. To start a command prompt, it is enough to simultaneously press Win+R keys, after which you will have the «Run» window. Type cmd in the Open box. Next order will be the following:
- In the opened window, enter diskpart to start the program, which will allow you to manage the device disks, partitions, etc. Now and in the future, after the next command entered will need to make «Enter»key.
- After typing list disk you can see a list of available devices.
- Choose the drive you want to make a boot and enter the command select disk 1 (where disk 1 is your flash drive).
- The next command you need to enter will be clean.
- Create a primary partition by typing in the line where is written the phrase command create partition primary.
- To select enter select partition 1.
- To activate it you enter active.
- The following command will format fs=NTFS, which will allow us to format our USB flash drive.
- In the next step select the letter of the name of our section, for example, R. Enter assign letter=R.
- To close the command prompt and then exit this program, enter exit twice.
So we got the bootable flash drive. Left us to copy the necessary files to install Windows.
Rufus – software for bootable flash drives
Rufus is a free program available for use and does not require installation on your computer. To find and download it on the Internet. Run it. You will see a window, where we find the «Device» select the USB flash drive. Don’t forget that near field «Create boot disk» you need to be checked. To select an operating system image, press the floppy disk icon.
Then follow the instructions:
- Open Windows Explorer, find the operating system image, open it.
- Below you will see the line «Use image», where you have to press «Start». After clicking OK, all the old data from the stick (if they were there) will be removed.
- After formatting the stick on it immediately copied the ISO image. You will only have to close the program and use the flash drive to the destination.
Use the program WinSetupFromUSB
Insert the flash drive into the computer and launch WinSetupFromUSB. It can be found and downloaded online. The algorithm for creating a bootable USB drive with the following program:
- Select the flash drive which will make it bootable in the USB disk line. Click on the button Bootice.
- In the window, again select the flash drive, which is labeled Destination Disk and click Perform Format.
- In the graph USB-HDD mode put a tick and click Next Step.
- Select File System – NTFS.
- After clicking OK, you will see the following warning message about formatting a USB drive. Re-click OK and wait for the end of the process.
- In the next window you will see that the flash drive is already created and ready to record new information. The window can be closed by pressing the x at the top right.
- Now, we record the boot program. To do this, in the window, find the region name Add to USB disk allocated marked Windows 2000/XP. Clicking on the box next to, choose the folder with the files to boot the operating system. In the case when the files are in the archive, remove them.
- After clicking GO, will start writing them to the flash drive.