How to freeze zucchini for winter
Zucchini is a versatile vegetable which you can cook anything you want: from ordinary to exquisite caviar stew. We usually buy and cook the courgettes in the summer, but in winter, also want to eat this vegetable. Fortunately, all of house is the freezer. Then the question arises: «How to freeze zucchini for winter?»
With proper freezing zucchini not lose their useful properties, vitamins and retain their flavor, unlike canned vegetables.
Particularly relevant question of freezing of these vegetables is for those people who have cottages and a rich harvest of zucchini. Then freeze them for the winter, as they say, God himself commanded.
Ways of freezing zucchini, there are so many. The main thing is to decide what you are going to cook from them.
Before you begin considering ways of freezing zucchini, consider the basic rules of «winter» storage, and these vegetables:
- Send for storage in the freezer need only high-quality vegetables, damaged squash to be stored is not recommended.
- Need to freeze only young vegetables, since they are better preserved due to a thick rind, juicy pulp and small seeds. If you want to cook the winter squash eggs, you can freeze and old vegetables.
- Zucchini rarely raw frozen, because after defrosting they are bad cooks because that will be too hard, as if sole. In addition, zucchini can and does lose its flavor. This is due to the fact that these vegetables contain a large number of enzymes and fluids. In order to prevent such a finale, it is recommended that some time to boil the zucchini on a slow fire to «send» them in a water bath or covered with salt.
- The squash should be frozen and stored in batches. It is best to use plastic bags, since they easily can remove the air and then not a pity to throw away. By the way, removing air from the bag is very important storage of zucchini. If you let the air out and allow the vegetables to «breathe», you cannot count on them to have long and good storage.
- To the pub has retained most of its nutritional and taste properties, it is necessary to use the so-called method of «stress freezing». That is to put vegetables in the freezer with very low temperature. Very well, if the refrigerator is the function «fast freeze». But do not leave the eggplant in this compartment for the whole winter. After they lie down in the compartment with the lowest temperature for a few days, they can be transferred to another unit or to set a higher temperature.
If you have a desire on a cold winter evening, treat yourself and your family in this summer dish like grilled zucchini in mayonnaise, let’s learn how to freeze them for cooking this dish.
- Prepare the zucchini: wash, dry, cut the edges, then cut each zucchini in small slices about half a centimeter.
- Then, put on the stove the pan, until the middle filled with water. Bring the water to a boil. As soon as the water boils, she can throw our sliced slices. Cooking them takes about five minutes. If you overcook the zucchini, the dish may turn out not tasty as the zucchini will become «mushy». Also, the fire must not be strong.
- Use a colander to rid the zucchini from excessive water.
- Wait until the slices of zucchini has cooled, wrap them in a plastic bag, carefully laying them. From the package should make all the air.
- It is impossible to put in the freezer warm or hot zucchini. You need to wait until they become room temperature.
If the economy is steaming, you can use it instead of the pan. Cook the zucchini in the steamer for 5 minutes.
If you want to freeze the finished dish, and for filing it on the table only to use the microwave, then this is for you:
- Prepare the zucchini: good wash, dry, cut off the edges and cut each zucchini in small slices.
- Each slice need salt and pepper on both sides.
- In a separate bowl pour the flour and roll each circle.
- In a hot pan pour sunflower oil, wait until it warms up, and fry each slice on both sides.
- Before freezing zucchini have completely cooled.
- So they don’t stick together when frozen, on each layer of zucchini you need to put a plastic bag.
Zucchini for soup and stews
Soups we prepare in any time of the year, winter is no exception. In the winter our body especially needs vitamins, and hence, roasting for soup, must consist of the maximum amount of vegetables and zucchini is one of them.
In order to freeze this vegetable need to follow this instructions:
- Zucchini wash and dry.
- Then, you have to slice them to pieces. For this you can use a food processor or cut manually with a knife. The size of the dice that you like, as for freezing the desired size is not available.
- Put the cubes in a container and liberally sprinkle them with salt. It is recommended to do in order to vegetables stood out the juice, which can prevent freezing.
- In order to remove the separated liquid from the zucchini, you need to pick a colander or just blot it with a towel.
- Before you freeze the zucchini, they need to be portioned to share. Think in advance about how many servings of food you plan to cook. Each serving of zucchini needs to be put in a separate package, or they will stick.
- Use the mode of freezing for 20 minutes, then, put the zucchini in a standard freezer.
If you have the desire to give the dish a pungency, then, before freezing, zucchini can be filled with chili or spicy ketchup.
One of the most simple to prepare and, at the same time, one of the most delicious foods, which you can prepare at home is pumpkin pancakes. What could be better than pumpkin pancakes with sour cream at the kitchen table with the family when on the street cold and frost?
- Zucchini should be washed and dried.
- Then, grate them on a grater. Can you RUB both large and small grater, depending on your desire.
- Grated squash mass, add salt to vegetables has allocated a juice. You need to wait fifteen minutes.
- The juice should be drained from the tank, which is mass, then press it with your hands to remove excess juice.
- Order the pancakes were delicious, the zucchini, add grated carrots.
- If you get too much vegetable mass, you can divide it into portions and prepare the dish several times. Each serving is placed in a separate plastic bag.
- In the winter, when you will fry zucchini fritters, which previously froze, be sure to press them again before frying.
These are simple ways of freezing and storing zucchini exist. If you follow these recommendations, then you can add a little winter sun this summer.