Colposcopy what is it?
Many studies in the field of medicine can be done through colposcopy. Often the direction of in a similar procedure to get women after a visit to the gynecologist. But, what is a colposcopy, what is its essence, perhaps, knows not every.
The colposcope refers to special medical equipment, aimed at the study of various tissues. The whole process of colposcopy is reduced to the multiple increase of the investigated object. In gynecology procedure is performed for examination of the vagina, cervix or uterine fundus. Due to the magnification of the image, the doctor can take a swab or a biopsy. This achieves the most accurate and effective results.
The types of colposcopy
Using the colposcope can be carried out as a simple observation and with the use of drugs (reagents).
The types of extended colposcopy divided according to the type of reagent used:
- The application of acetic acid. Under the action of this substance healthy blood vessels begin to narrow. But if there is a suspicion of some pathology, the effect will be the opposite.
- The use of Lugol’s iodine. Pathogenic areas are not painted, the affected area requires a biopsy.
- Application of solution of iodine and potassium. Discusses reaction to the depth of color.
- Fluorochrome used to diagnose cancer cells. After staining with the substance, conduct the irradiation with ultraviolet light, the affected cells appear pink.
- The use of samples of the Worm. For research use probe when clicking on a suspicious lesion is formed, the bleeding, the precision can be used to diagnose neoplasia.
- Less often take samples with adrenaline.
The indications for the procedure
A modern woman should undergo colposcopy each year, it will provide early detection of various diseases. As a rule, your doctor may refer you for a colposcopy in the following cases:
- the identification of erosion of the uterus;
- a sharp change in menstrual cycle;
- cramping pain in the abdomen;
- bleeding of different origin;
- smear on Cytology gave a positive result for the presence of cancer cells;
- pain during sexual intercourse;
- inflammation of the uterus;
- selection of the correct therapy.
Contraindications to the procedure
Colposcopy has a number of contraindications, such as:
- postpartum status and the next two months;
- after abortion should take at least one month;
- an allergic reaction to the reagents;
- after surgery must be at least 60 days.
How to prepare for colposcopy?
For more accurate result of the study, the vaginal flora needs to be changed.
To colposcopy need to prepare, it is necessary to observe a number of requirements before:
- To exclude sex for two to three days.
- It is impossible to conduct douching.
- It is not recommended to use vaginal suppositories and ointments.
What day of cycle is best for a colposcopy?
The ideal time of the colposcopy are 6 – 7 days of the menstrual cycle. Not recommended for diagnosis during the 1 4th day of the cycle is connected with the fact that due to the increased production of mucus by the cervix, the procedure may not be sufficiently informative.
The process of colposcopy
The whole process occurs in several stages. First patient to sit in the gynecological chair, the doctor then positions the colposcope in front of the vagina at a distance of 20 cm. the doctor Then inserts a gynecologic speculum and removes excess mucus from the cervix. On suspicious areas to apply the reagent and the reaction. How behaved the reagent, it is possible to diagnose a particular disease.
Possible consequences after colposcopy
In the case of the simple colposcopy no special recommendations are assigned. If the procedure was accompanied by a biopsy, some time will need to abstain from sex and hot baths. In this connection, you need to limit yourself to the swimming pool and sauna. It is not recommended to play sports and lift heavy items throughout the week. Considered normal spotting for 2-3 days. If you encounter prolonged bleeding, dragging pain in the abdomen, a sharp deterioration of health, then you should immediately contact the medical facility for help.
Women’s health is an essential part of life of modern women. Therefore, compliance with the norm of hygiene and visits to the gynecologist every six months is the main principle of preserving great health. Colposcopy is excellent procedure for early diagnosis of women’s diseases. The sooner will be diagnosed and treated, the more effective it will be.