Planting garlic – winter, spring
Garlic, perhaps the most valuable plant in the vegetable beds – the list of its healing properties it is difficult to describe in a small article.
This vegetable culture not only in the food consumed. It can be used to combat plant diseases, pests (on the same garden).
But by itself, the garlic culture is quite whimsical.
Therefore, the attitude to farming practices needs to be special. As the ability of the vegetable to proliferate without the formation of seeds.
Features planting garlic
When planting garlic it is important to consider what culture is preceded, on the selected patch.
If it was the potatoes (and asparagus and onions), it is better to choose for garlic other site, otherwise there is a risk to infect a culture of Fusarium.
You can plant garlic after corn and cabbage, but the best option would be such predecessors as beans, cucumbers and tomatoes.
Despite the fact that garlic does not produce seed, it is necessary to propagate vegetatively. As planting material are part of the garlic bulbs – teeth.
The vegetable can dissipate bulbectomy formed on the ends of arrows (although many people mistakenly believe that their seeds).
Preparing the soil for the garlicTo grow garlic, you need a fairly fertile soil with a neutral reaction. And she must be loose and moist (but not waterlogged).
If the soil for planting garlic does not quite match the requirements, it shall contain the following additives: for acid – liming, alkaline – gypsuming.
The garden, where to grow garlic, it is necessary to form in advance. Soil dug to a depth of a shovel. During this made fertilizers: mineral and organic matter (compost, humus).
Planting season garlic
Cultivated garlic is divided into 2 subspecies: spring and winter. Each of them has its own characteristics and the landing. And, of course, a principle of farming.
- Planting winter garlic
All varieties of garlic are considered to be cold-resistant, able to spend the winter in the soil. Unlike winter subspecies that he during maturation gives the arrow.
- To get to the end of the summer harvest of the crop, winter garlic should be planted in September – October, depending on region and weather conditions.
- In garlic cloves are planted in rows, buried 4 cm in the ground. The scheme of planting is this: the distance between particles is 5 to 8 cm between the rows is 25 cm as the garlic grows even at the lowest temperature is above zero, the garden it is advisable to mulch a two-centimeter layer of humus or peat.
- The main work is to care for the beds with the garlic starts in the spring: they are regularly to weed and rake. For the entire spring and summer season should be not less than 7 irrigations (depending on drying soils). Feed garlic with nitrogen fertilizers.
- To increase the yield of garlic is formed of the arrow is better to break down. But if you want to collect tubers for future planting, you can leave a few arrows.
- Planting of spring garlic
This subspecies of garlic differs from the winter that does not throw arrows. But this does not become more productive. But spring garlic is best stored in the winter. The maturity of the subspecies from spring to late summer.
- Cloves spring garlic planted in the ground as soon as the soil thawed. The scheme here is somewhat different than when planting winter crops: between the teeth – 5 cm, between rows – 20 cm, to Bury the garlic cloves completely in the ground should not be at the top of the teeth should look like at 1-2 mm.
- Care beds with garlic identical to that described above. That’s only nitrogen fertilizer (urea) applied at the first dressing after emergence. When it begins to form a bulb, alternate potash and phosphate fertilizers.